Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a cognitive behavioral treatment that emphasizes individual psychotherapy and group skills training classes to help adolescents learn and use new skills and strategies to develop a life that they experience as worth living. In DBT, the adolescent and the therapist work together to set goals that are meaningful to the client. Often this means they work on ways to decrease harmful behaviors and replace them with effective, life-enhancing behaviors.
What skills are taught in DBT?
- Mindfulness: The practice of being fully aware and present in our lives.
- Distress Tolerance: How to tolerate discomfort in painful and difficult situations.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: How to ask for what you want and say “No” while maintaining self-respect and relationships with others.
- Emotion Regulation: How to understand and regulate emotions.
The Behaven Kids DBT Groups consist of weekly group sessions of 3-10 adolescents, and lasts a total of 15 weeks. The structure of the DBT Program has two main components:
- Skills training group covers four modules: Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation and Interpersonal Effectiveness. The DBT group sessions focus on enhancing adolescents’ capabilities by teaching them behavioral skills. The group is run like a class where the therapist teaches the skills and assigns homework for clients to practice skill application in their everyday lives.
- Weekly individual sessions are required and focus on enhancing motivation and helping adolescents apply skills to specific challenges and events in their lives. The reduction of behaviors impacting the patient’s life in a negative way is discussed and the therapist and adolescent work to build greater awareness of triggers, emotions, thoughts, and actions.
Behaven Kids offers DBT Groups at both our Omaha and Elkhorn locations. Call the center nearest you to schedule a meeting to discuss how DBT Group Therapy can help your adolescent overcome life stressors and more control and confidence in their everyday routine!
What Patients Are Saying
"My child is more confident with higher self-esteem after attending the DBT Group Sessions"
"My daughter’s moods have been better, and she is not as angry or combative"
"My daughter is more able to tolerate disappointments"
"DBT Group helped me cope with many situations and gave me new skills to use"